Wednesday, November 5, 2014

What Is Your Purpose?

"I cry out to God Most High, to God who will fulfill His purpose for me." -Psalm 57:2 (NLT)

From time to time, I've heard sermons or read devotionals that ask people if they know what their God given purpose is, my answer has always been NO!  As I look around at the people God has placed in my life, I can kind of answer this question for them...I mean most of my circle has children, and to me, that represents at least one significant  purpose.  On the other hand I'm two steps from 40 years old and I haven't been blessed in that area yet.

Even my friends who have children complain that they still don't see the purpose God has for them; they say "there's got to be more to life than being a mother."  I am blessed to know at least two people who seem to have found their purpose in their careers, which they decided upon very early in life and now love dearly even on those days when everyone at their job gets on their nerves!  I envy them though because I've struggled for quite some time with this whole concept of "PURPOSE." Purpose, in my career; purpose in my singleness; purpose in my existence...

Unfortunately, I have not ever worked in a job that I just knew was my calling.  My work has been necessary, maybe even important but never exciting, interesting or fulfilling to me.  I've often asked God to show me my purpose; to open my spiritual eyes and help me to see but as I sit here typing today...I still wait for the answer.

So, what do we do while we wait on God to show us our purpose?  What I've decided to do is to keep crying out, keep asking him, in prayer, to lead me and show me.  I feel like a broken record on some days when I am constantly having an internal talk with God all day asking the same things over and over but I've truly come to a place in my life where I don't know where else to turn or who else to go to.  There's something that's missing, some piece of my puzzle that's missing and I feel the void of that empty space everyday. I believe that we all long for that space that nags at us to be filled...to be filled with true purpose and joy.  I know that the first step is the true knowledge of God and the building of a relationship with Him but I'm learning day by day that there are many more steps that come after that.

To be real, I'm feeling pretty exhausted today and I feel like I can't take another step but giving up is not an option for me so instead, I'll keep crying out because Isaiah 14:24 says," As I have planned, so it will be, and as I have purposed, so it will happen."  God has a plan and purpose for each of us and for some of us, I know it seems like a not-so-fun game of hide and seek but just keep trusting and believing and the big reveal will surely come!

Song to listen to: "Hold On" -James Fortune & Fiya

1 comment:

  1. Just a thought - maybe THIS is one of your purposes - your sharing and writing! I happen to believe that God gives us many purposes in life :)

    ReplyDelete